PhD, Jiangnan University (1992)
Postdoctoral Research, Reading University in UK (1994-1996)
Senior Visiting Scholar, University of California, USA (2005).
Director of Tea Biochemistry and Biology Technology Key Laboratory (both the Key Laboratory of the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Agriculture, and Anhui Province and State Key Laboratory Breeding Base)
Vice Director of Tea Science Society in China
Deputy Head of Gardening Subject Group in Teaching Steering Committee of Agricultural Colleges in National Ministry of Education
Director of Tea Science Society in Anhui Province
Committee Member of National Advisory Committee on Food and Nutrition
Deputy Director of the Tea Standardization Technical Committee (SAC/TC339)
Editor of Tea Bulletin
Tea Production Safety and Quality Control
Since 1996, Prof. Wan has, as one of the academic pacesetters for Tea Science, led the discipline team of tea science to a big development, building scientific research platform and developing discipline construction. As a result, Prof. Wan, together with his team members, has made striking achievements in many aspects, such as talents team, research platform, excellent course construction, textbook compilation, education reform, scientific research base construction, and combination involving production, teaching and research. Meanwhile, he has built key laboratories of Anhui Province, Ministry of Agriculture and Ministry of Education, national key laboratory cultivation base, and national tea processing technology research and development branch. AHAU has gained its position as tea science doctorate authorization center, built the postdoctoral research center and the first distinguished professor post for Wan Jiang Scholar Award Plan. In addition, Tea major has been approved as a key discipline by Ministry of Agriculture and national key discipline for cultivation. Prof. Wan has published his monograph Chinese Tea Spectrum, edited Tea Biochemistry (the third edition) which has won the award of National Excellent Teaching Material for Agricultural Colleges, and the course Tea Biochemistry undertook by him has been rated as National Excellent Course.
Prof. Wan has presided over 20 important projects under the financial aids of the National Science-technology Support Plan, the National Basic Research Program of China (also known as the “973” Program), the Ministry of Agriculture (also known as “948” Program), Agricultural Achievements Transformation Project and National Natural Science Foundation of China. He has published more than 100 periodical articles, 19 of which are cited by SCI. After those projects, Prof. Wan has revealed the mechanism of tea pigment from tea cathechins through oxidation, built the first clean-processing production line for traditional green tea in China, proven the mechanism of the formation of flower and fruit aroma after the hydrolysis of glycosidic aroma precursors in tea leaves, and realized the comprehensive exploitation and utilization of Pueraria resources.
Honors and Awards
The First Academic and Technical Leaders across the Century in Anhui Province
The State Council Special Allowance and Anhui Provincial Government Special Allowance
The Title of National Excellent Science and Technology Workers
Awarded a Citation for Merit by National Ministry of Personnel
Youth Science in Anhui Province Award
Chinese Agriculture Society Youth Awards
Zhenhua Science and Technology Award for Poverty Alleviation
Four National Invention Patents
Four Utility Model Patens
Anhui Province Scientific and Technological Achievements, once for First Prize, twice for Second Prize, and three times for Third Price
The First Prize for Natural Science Excellent Thesis in Anhui Province
The Second Prize for National Education Achievement Award
The First Prize for Anhui Provincial Education Achievement Award
1. An Introduction of cDNA and Transgenosis Technology for Caffeine Synthase in Tea Plants. Ministry of Agriculture “948 Program” (2001-3)
2. Hygiene Index Control over Pesticide Residues in Qimen Black Tea and New Product Research and Development. National Research and Local Major Projects funded by Ministry of Science and Technology
3. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Research on Glycosidic Aroma Precursors in Tea Leaves. Climbing Projects in Ministry of Science and Technology 045
4. Pueraria Flavones Extract, Comprehensive Utilization and Plantation. Major Science and Technology Projects for the Tenth Five-year Plan in Anhui Province (2001-2003)
5. Separation and Purification Technology Pilot Scale Test for Pueraria Flavones and Its Monomer. Ministry of Science and Technology Achievements Transformation Projects 208
6. Cloning and Transformation Research on Theanine Synthetase Gene. NSFC30270853
7. Introduction of Export-orientated Tea Processing Technology. Ministry of Agriculture “948 Programs” (2003-T22), chief expert
8.Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Research on Theanine Anabolism. Ministry of Science and Technology Significant Basic Research Project (2004CCA06400)
9. Research on Theanine Metabolism and Key Synthesis Enzyme. NSFC30571194
10.Demonstration of Tea Accumulation Industry Scientific Service System Construction in Anhui Province. Ministry of Science and Technology Spark Project (2003EA10034)
11. Research on Purified Production Line of Huangshan Maofeng Tea. Major Technology Research Projects for Structural Adjustment of Agriculture in 2006, 38
12.HPLC to Measure Imidacloprid in Tea Leaves. Standard Formulation and Revision Projects for Agriculture Funded by Ministry of Agriculture in 2006, 64
13.Research on Quality Control Technology for Safe Tea Production. State Support Plan [2006BAK02A26]
14.Research on Secondary Metabolism Substance of Tea Plants. Scientific Research Funds of Anhui Provincial Education Department (2006-2008)
15. Near Infrared Evaluation on Quality of Fresh Tea Leaves. Ministry of Agriculture “948 Programs” (2008-2009)
16. Modernized Processing Equipment and Technology Research for Famous Tea Brands Typical of Anhui Province. Major Scientific Projects for Tackling Key Problems in Anhui Province (08010302086)
17. Technology System for Tea Industry. Ministry of Agriculture (2008-2013)
18. Research on Separation, Purification and Modification and Corresponding Biological Activity of Polyphenol Substance in Tea Leaves. Scientific Research Projects Funded by Ministry of Education for Returned Oversea Scholars (2008-2010)
19.International Standard Setting (ISO) for Special Tea. National Standards Committee (2008-2011)
20. Pu’er Tea Processing. Yunnan Menghai Tea Factory (2008-2011)
21.Verification of Relating Enzyme for Theanine Compound and Molecular Mechanism of Enzyme Regulating Metabolism of Theanine. National Funds (30972400)
1. Xiaochun Wan ed. Tea Biochemistry (Third edition). Beijing: China Agriculture Press, 2003.
2. Xiaochun Wan ed. Chinese Tea Spectrum. Beijing: China Forestry Press, 2007.
3. Tie-Jun Ling, Xiao-Chun Wan, Wei-wei Ling, Zheng-Zhu Zhang,Tao Xia, Da- Xiang Li AND Ru-Yan Hou, New Triterpenoids and Other Constituents from a Special, Microbial-Fermented Tea; Fuzhuan Brick Tea. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2010, 58, 4945–4950.
4. Lin Chen, Qi Chen, Zhengzhu Zhang, Xiaochun Wan*. A novel Colorimetric Determination of Free Amino Acids Content in Tea Infusions with 2,4-Dinitrofluorobenzene. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 2009, 22 (2):137-141 (corresponding author).
5. Tiejun Ling, Zhengzhu Zhang, Tao Xia, Weiwei Ling, Xiaochun Wan*, Phytoecdysteroids and Other Constituents from the Roots of Klaseopsis Chinensis. Biochemical Systematics and Ecology, 2009, (37): 49–51(corresponding author).
6. Changjun Yang, Daxiang Li, Xiaochun Wan. Combination of HSCCC and Sephadex LH-20 Methods. An Approach to Isolation and Purification of the Main Individual Theaflavins from Black Tea. Journal of Chromatography B, 2008, 861(1):140-144 (SCI, corresponding author).
7. Daxiang Li, Changjun Yang, Ying Chen, Jiang Tian, Lijun Liu,Qiuping Dai, Xiaochun Wan, Zijian Xie. Identification of a PKCε-dependent Regulation of Myocardial Contraction by Epicatechin-3-gallate. American Journal of Physiology-Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 2008, 294(1) H: 345-353 (SCI, corresponding co-author).
8. Jiangyu Fang, Xiaochun Wan*. XPS Characterization on the Surface of the Tea Leaves and Roots. Spectroscopy and Spectral Analysis, 2008, 28(9):2196-2200(SCI, corresponding author).
9. C.B. Fang, X.C. Wan*, H.R. Tan and C.J. Jiang, Identification of Isoflavonoids in Several Kudzu Samples by High-Performance Liquid Chromatography and Electrospray Ionization Tandem Mass Spectrometry (HPLC/ESI-MS). Journal of Chromatographic Science. 2006, 44(2):57-63 (SCI, corresponding author).
10. Congbing F, Xiaochun Wan*, Changjun Jang, Huarong Tan, Yinghui Hu, Haiquan Cao. Comparision of HPTLC, HPLC, and HPCE for Fingerprinting of Pueraria Radix. Journal of planer chromatography, 2006, (19):348-354 (SCI, corresponding author).
11. C.B. Fang, X.C. Wan*, H.R. Tan and C.J. Jiang, Separation and determination of isoflavonoids in Several Kudzu Samples by High-Performance Capillary Electrophoresis (HPCE). Annali Di Chimica, 2006, 96(1-2): 117-124 (SCI, corresponding author).
12. Congbing Fang, Xiaochun Wan*, Changjun Jang, et al., Comparision of HPTLC and HPLC for Determination of Isflavonoids in several Kudzu Samples. Journal of Planer Chromatography.2005,18(1)：73-77 (SCI, corresponding author).
13. Ping Li, Xiao-Chun Wan*, Zheng-Zhu Zhanga, Jian Lia, Zuo-Jun Shenb. A Novel Assay Method for Theanine Synthetase Activity by Capillary Electrophesis. Journal of Chromatography B, 2005, 819(1):81-84 (SCI, corresponding author).
14.Jiangyu Fang, Xiao-chun Wan. Nanometer Silicon of Rice and Its Ultraviolet Absorption. Spectroscopy and Spectral Analysis, 2006, 26 (12): 2315-2318 (SCI, corresponding author).
15. Tiejun Ling, Tao Xia, Xiaochun Wan, Daxiang Li and Xiaoyi Wei. Cerebrosides from the Root of Serratula Chinenisis. Molecules, 2006, 11, 677-683 (SCI).
16. Xia T, Shi,SQ, Wan, XC. Impact of Ultrasonic-assisted Extraction on the Chemical and Sensory Quality of Tea Infusion. Journal of Food Engineering, 2006, 74(4): 557-560 (SCI).
17.Zhengzhu Zhang, Yingbo Li, Li Qi, Xiaochun Wan. Antifungal Activities of Major Tea Leaf Volatile Consitituents toward Colletorichum Camelliae Massea. J.Agric,Food Chem, 2006, 54, 3936-3940 (SCI).
18. Wang, XG. Hu, SX; Wan, XC, et al. Effect of Microbial Fermentation on Caffenine Content of Tea Leaves. J.Agric,Food Chem,2005,53,7238-7242 (SCI).
19.Xiaogang Wang, Xiaochun Wan, Shuxia Hu and Caiyuan Pan. Study on the Increase Mechanism of the Caffeine Content during the Fermentation of Tea with Microorganisms. Food Chemistry，2008, 107(3): 1086-1091 (SCI).
20. Ye-Yun LI，Chang-Jun JIANG*，Xiao-Chun WAN, Zheng-Zhu ZHANG, Da-Xiang LI. Purification and Partial Characterization of a b-Glucosidase from Fresh Leaves of Tea Plant (Camellia sinensis (L.) O. Kuntze). Acta Biochim Biophys Sin，2005，37（6）：363-370 (SCI).
21. M.Jun，H.-Y., J. Hong, X.C. Wan，C.S. Yang, AND C.-T.Ho. Comparison of Antioxidant Activities of Isoflavones from Kudzu Root (Pueraria Lobata Ohwi). J.of Food Sci., 2003, 68 :2117-2122 (SCI).
22. Xiaochun Wan, Present Production and Research of Tea in China, The 2004 International Conference on O-CHA Culture and Science, Japan, 2004.
23. Xiaochun Wan, Zhengzhu Zhang, Tao Xia. Variation of Glycosidic Tea Aroma Precursors, Volatile, β-glucosidase Activity and Respiration in Tensity During Green Tea Withering. The 2001 International Conference on O-CHA Culture and Science, Japan, 2001.